Today's run (Wow, I love starting sentences with that phrase), was the second (including last Friday) that had me thinking I have gotten past the hard part. I am back to running like I know how to do. My stride is getting comfortable, my pacing is real even (varying today between 7:10/mile and 7:32/mile), and my footfall is quiet. No clomping as I try to find a place for each foot. This feels like honest-to-goodness running. I don't feel fast, but I do hear myself say slow down when my watch shows a pace below 7:10, so which is it?
A few weeks ago, I wrote about getting through the early runs, like starting a new habit, getting past the point where it hurts to a point where it just feels good. As I was running today, I was reminded of an entertainer (do people use that word?) who used to say you should always leave the audience wanting more, not less. A mile from home, I was gliding along and thinking I could run a few more miles and feel just fine. But I didn't. I let my watch get to 32 minutes, hit stop and walked the a half mile to a nearby park. There I tried to do pull-ups. I struggled to get my chin above the bar more than 3 times in a set. So there's something else to work on.
I am nearly worthy of the title runner again. I have a vague notion of setting goals, but I haven't set any yet. I need to build, but build I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment