Wednesday, April 30, 2008

15 -- 5 --15

Few things provoke ennui if not outright boredom like watching grass grow, paint dry or the light change going North on Locust Road at Lake Avenue (that's a really long light even if there is no east-west traffic on Lake). Ah, but there is one and that is watching an injured, now ostensibly healed, runner restart a running program. The Internets are chocked full of begin-to-run and return-to-run plans. Most boil down to some mixture of walking and running. No sane doctor or physical therapist would offer any alternate plan. No one varies from the tried and true cliche that insists that one must walk before one runs.

I wish I were here to report radical progress on this oft-repeated trope, but, alas, I cannot. I suppose my contribution to the process is a constitution that doesn't allow for the rapid start/stop of walk one minute, run one minute, repeat. Instead, last week I was run 5 minutes while reaffirming faith in higher being, or minimally the running gods, then walk 5 minutes, repeat. On Saturday, I ramped it up to run 10minutes, walk 5 minutes, repeat, once.

Today, dressed for November, in wind brief, long sleeves, shorts, hat and gloves, I ran for fifteen minutes, walked 5 minutes and ran 15 more. Legs are still attached. By my calculation, I ran for a half hour today. No parties yet, this is the building of a foundation. It isn't exciting, but if it keeps up, it will be.

No comments: